In 2015 and 2016 it will be easier to make $100,000 per year creating video than photography. 

The problem is that everyone is a photographer now. While there is lots of money for high end weddings, it's difficult to get established enough to book these. High end venues are usually the ones recommending photographers, and to get on their list, typically you have to photograph at least one wedding there to prove your value and professionalism.  See the paradox here? 

For smaller budget and midrange weddings, there's a pretty good chance that a family friend, or a photographer they've seen at a friends wedding is good enough for the job. Trust and knowing someone in real life will usually win over a random photographer the couple found on the internet that's not a venue recommended vendor.

Enter DSRL video...
The venue recommended vendors at a high end venue for video are likely $5000-15,000 for the day. If the couple wants video, but isn't committed enough to reach for that price tag, you at a $3400 price point, that does comparable work is very attractive.
If you're smart, you can book 30 weddings your first full year, and that would mean $102,000 in sales. There is a lead up year to build your portfolio, but once you get that first full time year, it only builds from there.

Good news:
The video production market isn’t over saturated yet. It is still possible to break into the market.

I was lucky and got into photography when there was still room in the market. The way photography was in 2006-2008 is the way wedding cinema production is now, it's about to become very valuable to couples - but those that are already doing great work are too busy and too expensive for typical couples to book.

Now is the time to start creating that perfect portfolio of videos you want to be selling in the future. The established businesses are so backlogged that they won’t even notice you coming up ranking beside them on Google.

While the technical side of things is important, I would say it’s only 20% of creating a successful video business. Marketing is the other 80%.

I'm not going to bore you with an extensive sales page with gimmicks and bonus extras (though we do have bonus extras!)

I am here to tell you something you already know -- that you can make a lot of money making videos at peoples wedding. The best business model is the one I am currently running - one or two person photo and video coverage by myself on any wedding day. It's moved my average booking from $3200 for just photography coverage to $7000 for both photo and video. While it takes years to cultivate the skill to do both at the same time, it's a journey that is worth it. If you're able to do both as one package, you become one of the very few people in the world, and become very desirable across the continent.

Doing both photography and video at a wedding tells the full story - and it makes my couples so much more excited when they receive their final products. When couples only hire me for photo, I now feel like I'm holding out on something they would absolutely love to have. While I do understand that sometimes the extra cost isn't in the budget, I really think couples should hire both if they want a true representation of the day. 
 

For me it's almost back to the film days, but instead of choosing your black and white, or colour camera, you're selecting photo or video as the best way to tell that moment.

On average I am hired to do 60-70 weddings per season. I have a full time editor so that I am able to just go out and shoot, and do what I enjoy. It's the most fun you can ever have with a camera, and with a full time editor, you really only work about 2 days a week, so you're free to explore commercial video, travel or just spend more time with your family.

Who this guide is for:
- beginners that understand camera basics, and want to focus on video.
- photographers that want to add to both both extra money to their bank account and a better full experience to their clients